If you run a business, then here are a few facts that you need to know about lock out tag out programs, confined space training, and purchasing lockout tagout kits.
1. Energy sources including electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, chemical, thermal or other sources in machines and equipment can be hazardous to workers.
2. Lockout tagout procedures require that hazardous power sources be isolated and rendered inoperative before any repair procedure is started. There are also a whole host of other regulations that are important to know as well.
3. Confined spaces are often narrow and constricting preventing easy access by rescuers. This is why lock out tag out procedures and proper confined space training are so important.
4. Due to the unique nature of confined space rescues, there is specialized equipment necessary to perform a safe and successful rescue. These pieces of specialized equipment are important and must be accompanied by the proper training.
5. Agencies that oversee workplace safety require that persons qualified for confined space rescue operations complete rescue training and exercises annually, at the least, and recommend more frequent training.